Monday, March 9, 2009

USA Today Reports Americans Losing Religion

The Official report from USA Today says that member percentages of organized religions have decreased drastically with the new generation.

The report comes from the American Religious Identification Survey (ARIS). The not-surprising results show that most religions have declined in numbers.

The full story is here:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2009-03-09-american-religion-ARIS_N.htm

None of this should surprise Catholic at all. We've known for a long time that the Church in America is in trouble. And I think it's precisely because "people are just making up their own stories of who they are" as Barry Kosmin, survey co-author, claims.

It's funny how easy it is to just make up a story of who you are. But I'm, thinking this kind of thing could spread to new dimensions. Instead of just making up the story of who I am, why not make up a story of who my wife is… maybe even my kids. Next, I'll go to work on a story for my parents and siblings. Eventually, I will have made up the story on the whole world… and I will be king.

No comments:

Post a Comment