Friday, April 10, 2009

NY Daily News Gets It Right – American Catholics Have Identity Crisis

I know a lot of people think I search and search for news items on Catholics that completely miss the real points, but you can believe me when I say, "I'm thrilled when a reporter 'gets it.'"

Today, NY Daily's S. E. Cupp reported that the criticism of Notre Dame for inviting the president to speak is a little "too little, too late" considering the fact that it was Catholics who put Obama in office. And he's 100% right. You can read the column here:

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions/2009/04/08/2009-04-08_the_catholic_identity_crisis.html?page=0

I don't want to ignore the bishops and priests who spoke out against Obama from the start. They might be thinking all their efforts were fruitless, but we must remember that God judges our will, not our results. Their will was to testify to the truth, and they did it beautifully.

But at the same time, a lot more could have spoken up, and there could have been a lot more public teaching and preaching going on. The problem is that half of our bishops and priests are in the same identity crisis.

No comments:

Post a Comment