Saturday, April 4, 2009

Obama Speaking At Notre Dame

Every Catholic out there has weighed in on this subject while I've been avoiding it. It's not that I think it's not a big deal, and it's not that I think we shouldn't show some kind of public disapproval (although, I think MOST of it ought to be handled by Notre Dame alumni, students, and the Church itself). But I think the whole subject is being handled wrong.

To me, this is like a patient coming in to a doctor and complaining about a terrible headache… when he was just there last week and diagnosed with a brain tumor. The cancer eating the Catholic universities in America might be causing the pains and aches. But it's doing far more than that. As a matter of fact, I'd say it's too late to find a cure for this. The pro-death president speaking and receiving honors at a Catholic university is nothing but a noticeable sign (one of MANY) that Notre Dame has lost its right to be called Catholic.

Raising a stink over it, to me, is like trying to heal a patient of headaches long after the patient has died. I've seen the question of authority come up again and again, and it looks like the Church doesn't really have any. If the Church has no authority over this college, then why is it a Catholic college?

I would say to the bishops and those in charge of all the orders who have any part at Notre Dame, "Pull your guys out, and start a Catholic college. Quit pretending."

That's really all I can think of to say about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment