Friday, February 6, 2009

Reports on Father Marcial Maciel’s Sex Allegations

There was an article in Reuters the other day about the scandal involving the founder of Legionaries of Christ, Father Marcial Maciel. The headline reads:

"Catholic sex abuser fathered secret child"

I looks like Father Marcial fathered a kid some years ago. I don't quite understand how this confirms allegations that he is a sexual abuser. Of course, through the eyes of Catholic teaching, I guess any sex outside of marriage could be considered abuse of the gift. But the report wasn't written through the eyes of Catholic teaching… heck, I doubt Philip Pullella is even a Catholic. What's more, the term "sexual abuse" has kind of taken its own meaning to suggest molestation, so this whole article is garbage.

The report also suggests that Father Marcial abused both boys and MEN. Has any man out there ever been abused sexually? I imagine it happens in prison a lot, but I just can't see it happening in a seminary.

No comments:

Post a Comment